Don’t let the big game tackle your health & fitness goals!
You’ve made a New Year’s resolution and you’re sticking to it. You’re eating healthy, exercising more and everything is going well. All of a sudden the Super Bowl is here and you are blind-sided by a spread filled with unhealthy options destined to sack you and your goals.
Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest food consumption day of the year, behind only Thanksgiving (remember how much you ate on that day?!). The National Chicken Council estimates that Americans will eat 1.23 billion chicken wings on Sunday. Shape Magazine estimates Americans will also eat 11 million pounds of chips and 3.8 million pounds (60,800,000 ounces) of popcorn on Sunday.
This year, don’t grab a six pack, build one! Pass on the six-foot grinders and stiff-arm the trays of fried foods that make so many of us fumble our goals and lose track of the end-zone. Go the distance with your health & fitness goals without sacrificing taste and enjoy these 5 delicious and healthy Super Bowl snacks.
All recipes contributed by NutraBio Athletes.
1) Sweet potato Turkey Sliders
by NutraBio Athlete Jess Lee
These are my FAVORITE easy snack/meal. Waffle cut sweet potato fries (I get the Alexia brand, really clean with not a ton of preservatives) and fresh cut turkey slices (this is a hormone free one I get from Costco). Basically I just use the sweet potatoes as a bun and you can stuff them with anything! Lettuce and mozzarella cheese would be yummy sandwiched in there too! Seriously the easiest snack ever and so fulfilling. Hope this gets your creative healthy snack ideas flowing. Love you guys! Keep it up, and Keep it fun!
- 1 bag Alexia Sweet Potato fries
- 1/2 lb fresh cut turkey slices
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook sweet potato fries in the oven.
- Put 1/2 slice of turkey in between two fries and enjoy!
*Add in lettuce and/or low-fat cheese if desired.
2) Protein Pudding
by NutraBio Athlete Dani Butler
This is a delicious pudding that I made with NutraBio Casein Protein. Blend vanilla Casein, 1/2 avocado and I added a little sweet potato so it was balanced with my fat, carbs and proteins. Some cinnamon and if you’d like vanilla extract… And you got pudding 😊
- 2 scoops NutraBio Vanilla Protein (Micellar Casein or Whey Isolate)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (baked or steamed)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender (or food processor) and let it rip!
3) Cauliflower Tator Tots
by NutraBio Athlete Liz Jackson
If you want to trick your friends and family into eating vegetables during the big game, give these a try. These are a great twist on the classic tot and are so good, your party guests won’t realize they are eating cauliflower.
- One bag frozen cauliflower, rinsed and squeezed of excess liquid.
- 2 tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
- 5-10 sprays butter spray, optional (yes, I know… not clean!)
- 1/3 cup fat free cheddar cheese, or use full fat-whatever for your goals
- 1 egg white
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Combine the cauliflower and Greek yogurt with ah and food processor.
- Mix and then add the cheese and seasonings (you can do parm or spicy, etc.)
- In a separate bowl, whip egg white till very frothy, like a peak.
- Fold in cauliflower mix until all incorporated.
- Put in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Shape into tots and place on a sprayed cookie sheet, spray tops lightly with spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes
- Flip and bake another 5-10 minutes
- I turned on the broil for a couple of minutes at the end to help them crunch more.
Made about 25-30 tots.
4) Buffalo Chicken Dip
by NutraBio Athlete Liz Calabro
Lighter dairy ingredients are the key to this recipe’s healthier makeover. Serve it up hot with crisp celery sticks, carrots or bell peppers.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (Cholula is the best!)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure it gets hot and cheese is melted.
- Pour into a crock pot or serving dish (careful, it’s hot!)
- Skip the chips and bread and serve instead with a side of carrots, celery, bell peppers and/or cherry tomatoes.
5) The Best Low Carb Protein Brownies
by NutraBio Athlete Corey Russo
The best healthy brownies. It is possible to have delicious, creamy, chewy brownies, loaded with protein!
Macros per Serving:
- 3 Scoops – Whey Protein (Chocolate)
- 3/4 of a cup – unsweetened dark chocolate
- 5 – egg whites/egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 stick – reduced calorie butter
- 1/4 cup – Walden Farms zero calorie chocolate syrup
- 3/4 cup – zero fat cream cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set cream cheese out for 20-30 minutes to soften
- Mix all the ingredients in large bowl using a hand mixer until your batter is nice and smooth.
- Pour mixed batter into baking tray (spray first).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Allow them to cool and enjoy!